Welcome to 40plussports. I have been away from the website through most of 2018, traveling, competing, and working with Habitat for Humanity. I have returned and will try to be a more consistent presence.
As you regulars know, this site is designed to encourage, inform, and entertain those over 40 who are contemplating arising from their couches and competing; or those who are already deeply committed to sports competition; or those who are somewhere in between -- the sometime weekend warriors.
News from the world of Masters Athletes:
1) The U.S. Center of Safe Sport is a non-profit committed to ending all forms of abuse, physical, emotional, and sexual, of athletes. I hope this would not be a significant issues for Masters Sports. Their website is www.safesport.org
2) From time to time I am going to recognize Masters Athletes who have distinguished themselves with consistently high achievements in their respective sports. In each case we're talking decades of excellence:
• Pepe Neubauer, Alpine Skiing, 2018 70-74 age-group champion in Super G, Slalom, and Giant Slalom.
• Laura Val, Swimming, 2018 65-69 age-group champion in 100-yard and 200-yard freestyle and 50-yard, 100-yard, and 200-yard backstroke.
• Walter Dragonetti, Fencing 2018 60-69 champion in epee
I've given a brief account of competing in the 2018 National Canoe and Kayak Marathon National Championship in Syracuse, NY in the "Aging Athlete" section of the website.
In addition to the Marathon Nationals, I managed to compete in 5 regional marathon kayak competitions, the bike leg of a duathalon, and several tennis tournaments. I am training up for as many 2018 competitions as I can manage and I hope some of you will join me.
I have begun to populate the website with the schedule and results for 2018. I have just posted the overall schedule for the first four months of 2019. Go to "Sports" and click on "2019 National Championship Events". More is coming!
In the meantime, please let me know if you have any questions, stories, or complaints.
WHAT'S ON THE SITE
For those of you who are new to the site, here is an overview of the six sections
1) The Aging Athlete
-- My reflections on growing older as I compete in various sports.
2) Data Analysis
-- A page devoted to an examination of the data contained on the sports pages of this site. You'll find an Introduction to the Data
. At the bottom of the page you can access an article on Female Competitors in 2009 National Championships
and an article on Competitors over 70 in 2009 National Championships
-- A summary of articles and research on aging and sport performance that I have found provocative and informative.
-- A page for each of 27 sports which present a schedule for upcoming national championships, a list of the national champions in each sport, a list of the number of "competitors" in each event, and a summary table. Note: These tables are ONLY for competitors in the over-40 age group classes.
5) Buy the Book
-- A blatant commercial appeal to purchase the book on which this website is based.
6) Links and Resources
-- Interesting and relevant websites, books, DVDs, and other media.
I welcome your comments, suggestions, and questions. You can e-mail me at email@example.com